Sunday, September 15, 2013

How I Spent Spring (and Part of Summer,) 2013

I always enjoy the annual Sasha Festival, and having missed last year's Festival in England, I was really looking forward to the 2013 Festival. As usual, I had a wonderful time, both visiting with old friends who attend nearly every year, and meeting the first time attendees, many of whom are already on-line acquaintances. The Festival, which celebrates Sasha Morganthaler and the dolls she created, is a small, family friendly event, held at a different location each year, entirely organized and staffed by volunteers. It is difficult to describe the feeling of friendship and camaraderie that is the hallmark of the Sasha Festival. I can only say that there is a reason why the same people keep returning year after year! The 2014 Festival will be held in Phoenix, AZ.

I usually volunteer as a table hostess during the Festival. Often, part of that duty is to provide a small table favor for your guests. I'd seen some cute dresses with a crocheted bodice and fabric skirt on someone's doll at a previous Festival and thought I'd try something similar for my table this year. I didn't have a pattern, but I've been crocheting since I was seven years old, and was fairly sure I could create my own version.

I spent the end of May fiddling around with crocheting and making notes on the various trial versions of the bodice. A good part of June was divided between working on CFA projects, and crocheting and sewing the actual table favor dresses. Here are a few pictures of the finished products, taken on my table at the Festival. I needed eight for that night, but have made several more since I've been back home. I'm working on writing the pattern up, and will publish it here when I have it ready, so if you are a Sasha collector and/or crocheter, stay tuned!





4 comments:

Serenata said...

The dresses are gorgeous what lucky guests you had at your table.

I am so excited at the thought of a pattern! How wonderful!

PrairiePosy said...

Thank you! They are fun to make, and work up fairly quickly, especially if you make enough of them to get the pattern memorized!

Margaret said...

How wonderful and creative. I like the crochet and fabric combination, very fresh and different.

PrairiePosy said...

Thanks! I think I may try making one to fit my granddaughter's American Girl doll later on this winter. She has 2012's Girl of the Year, McKenna.

Harry Learns to Play Quidditch

In the "Sorcerer's Stone", Harry is chosen to be Seeker for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. For those of you who STILL haven...